Aussie Horse virus

robert at robert at
Sun Oct 2 22:49:18 EST 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9409300913.A13455-0100000 at mucc.mahidol.> scspt at MUCC.MAHIDOL.AC.TH (Somsak Pantuwatana - SCMI) writes:
>	In Thailand, it has been demonstrated that Japanese encephalitis
>virus, a member of Flavivirus in the family Flaviviridae, can kill both
>horses and man. This is one of the possible causative agent for Aussie
>Horse virus. The virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, Culex
>tritaeniorhyncus, Culex gelidus and others.
>		Somsak Pantuwatana, Ph.D.
>		Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science
>		Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Whilst we cannot discount the possibility that JEV has been imported into Australia, the symptomatology and the known relationship to paramyxo viruses makes JEV an unlikely candidate

Dr Robert J. Coelen                                  fax:   61-77-791 526
Dept of Biomedical and Tropical Veterinary Sciences  phone: 61-77-815 024
James Cook University of North Queensland
Townsville-just-about-on-THE-reef, Q, 4811
                                      o     e
                                       w   d
                                        n n