Alberta Hantavirus

Dr. R. Marusyk rmarusyk at mercury.uah.ualberta.ca
Wed Oct 12 16:44:54 EST 1994

more. I have argued for years that ELISA/EIA assays as commonly used in
diagnostic virology, i.e., commercial kits and many home-grown versions,
are akin to garbage assays and measure antibody rightly enough, but WHAT
antibody. We have often shown that there is no correlation whatsoever
between EIA titres (Canadian spelling, please take note) and a
gold-standard neutralization assay for measles virus, i.e., very high
EIA titres and no neutralization titre and vice versa. Your point is
well taken, Brian. However, the CJM Hantavirus paper that I referred to
used H-W Lee's immunofluorescent assay which was, at that time, the gold
standard.
Dan McLeod, where are you? If you are reading this, maybe you can
comment as you were involved in the early Canadian study.

Raymond G Marusyk
Professor of Virology
Microbiology & Public Health
University of Alberta Hospitals