A little question about an idea

Lyle Najita najital at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Wed Oct 12 09:03:06 EST 1994

In article <reon.1.000CA662 at infruit.agric.za>, reon at infruit.agric.za (Reon
Brand) wrote:

> Interesting
> How about a "disarmed retrovirus" that encodes an antisense mRNA copy of the
> receptor protein for a particular retrovirus.  Could this protect cells
> against infection?

Interesting idea, although as with any strategy aimed against a host cell
protein, there might be dire consequences to the host cell or host
organism of functionally deleting such a receptor. Targetting the
antisense mRNA would not be useful in this case since the receptor would
have to be eliminated from any potential host cells.

My opinions are given freely and, as such, are worth exactly what you paid
for them.