HPS IN CANADA

bhjelle at unm.edu bhjelle at unm.edu
Tue Sep 6 12:28:39 EST 1994

In article <34i0c2$mvp at www.interramp.com>,  <knunan at .interramp.com> wrote:

>Dr Gumbo writes that Hantavirus is a generic name and that the
>current outbreak is a new species of Hantavirus diff from that
>which causes Korean Hemorrhagic Fever. This is correct. I thought

Sorry if this seems nitpicky but KHF is a disease,
not a virus. It is caused by Hantaan virus, although
Seoul virus causes a similar syndrome of lesser
severity.

>that I made it clear in my posting that Korean Hemorrhagic Fever
>was the the only other Bunyaviridae of the Hantavirus family
>that was occasionally found in mice in the SW US and that it
>was never really a problem.

Eh? I think you may be referring to Seoul
virus, which occurs in rats worldwide but
reaches exceptionally high prevalence in
Baltimore, Maryland (not SW US by my map).

>The new variant which, as Dr Gumbo
>such a case but so be it for now....) may in fact have evolved
>from the others forms of Hantaan virus or it may have been around
>from before the 1993 outbreak but because mice were not as
>plentiful as they were before it too was not a problem, even
>for people living a rural lifestyle and coming into occasional
>or regular contact with these animals and/or their excreta.

If by "not a problem" you mean an occasional
death that was diagnosed as "viral pneumonia"
or "unexplained ARDS", then you are right. There
is no evidence or suggestion whatsover that
Four Corners hantavirus evolved recently
from a Hantaan-like virus (which does not,
by the way, occur in the New World).
All evidence suggests it has been in the New World
for at least as far back as we have frozen
samples from deer mice or humans with HPS,
and probably millenia before that.

>There are a number of other types or "species" of Hantavirus
>including Prospect Hill, HAARDS agent, Puumala, Seoul, Leakey
>and Tchoupitoulas virus. There are five genera in the Bunyaviridae

Leakey is Puumala. "HAARDS" agent is also
called Four Corners, Sin Nombre, or
Muerto Canyon virus. In addition to the
above, there are new hantaviruses that are
probably distinct species associated
with cotton rats, and harvest mice.

Brian