online diagnosis vs direction

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Thu Apr 6 05:26:31 EST 1995

In article <3lvcu9$101 at ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>, bestanly at ix.netcom.com
(BEVERLY STANLEY) wrote:

(omissis)
>     Telling what you know that could help a person does not have to be a
> diagnosis. Anyone that had been sick for a long time has had many
> diagnoses.

(omissis)

 Dealing with
> doctors at this time was the most frustrating thing I've ever had to do.
> There is no room for complacency in the present day healthcare industry.
> Squeaky door gets the oil.<g> So, please, have compassion for the
> patients and help to direct them, not diagnose them. Bev

Dear Beverly, I want just to share my feelings about that with you.

1) I understand that people could be so frustrated to ask for help on the
Net, but it has to be noted that not only a diagnosis but also a hint is
*very* difficult to be given without facing the patient, asking him and
knowing his history (at least a serious MD should agree with that).
Moreover, sometimes people without a specific knowledge his tempted to
answer (just to be kind of course), but a wrong answer to a person who
knows less could be misleading. I tell you, even if I try to give answer
only when I'm reasonably sure, I did mistakes. That's the reason why I try
not to mess up things answering when I'm not sure.
2) It is true that knowing a bit more is better than not. But we cannot
think to become experts in every field. We have always to rely on someone's
else knowledge, however frustrating it might prove to be. So, most of times
pieces of informations without a basic knowledge can be even worse than no
infomations at all. Tell me, even if you are given the hint that your case
could be xyz, how can you face a doctor saying it's not so because yxz?
Wouldn't you trust him?
3) I do encourage people to ask for infos on the Net, but not to think that
a free forum for discussions online (even if scientific) could substitute
for the personal contact between patients and doctors. BTW, if you
carefully read all the postings you will notice that really every kind of
people is now partecipating in discussions and sometimes they are not
thinking that what they're writing could influence someone's else opinion
in a wrong direction. So, take the suggestions but with care.
Best wishes, G.Maga PhD
maga at vetbio.unizh.ch