dsRNA markers

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Wed Apr 5 22:13:01 EST 1995

On 5 Apr 1995, Bruce Phillips wrote:

> why question was whether or not two equivalent LENGTH dsRNA and dsDNA
> molecules would behave differently in,say, 1% agarose gels.  A recent
> contribution to the net suggests they would be different and I would be
> interested in knowing something of the magnitude of that differentce.

I cannot answer that specifically but how about simply running a test
sample of known-length dsRNA and an equivalent length DNA?  I could
PREDICT that the RNA might run faster than DNA since it is carrying the
extra electonegative OH groups or make the opposite prediction that since
it is carrying the bulky, extra OH groups, the RNA will not move as
quickly through the agar matrix.  Why not put the question to rest and do
the test (unless someone here already has or knows the answer)?

Patrick