Lassa virus - the book

repik at MEDCOLPA.EDU repik at MEDCOLPA.EDU
Fri Apr 7 15:22:45 EST 1995

The following book is an addition to Kathleen Richard's book list:

	Fever! The Hunt for a New Killer Virus
	By John G. Fuller
	Reader's Digest Press
	New York, 1974
	(Distributed by E.P. Dutton & Co., Inc.)

This is a very interesting and readable book for lay people and
scientists alike.  It chronicles the first recognized index case(s) of
Lassa virus in Nigeria in 1969, the dramatic events that occurred both in
Nigeria and in the USA while trying to isolate and identify the virus,
and the epidemiological studies that were done to track and identify the
reservoir host.  I first read this in gradute school and it certainly
peaked my interest in epidemiology and emerging infections - and got me
headed down this career path.  One catch though - the book is out of
print. But you might be able to find it in a used book store (as I did
about a year ago) or in public or university libraries.  It's worth the
effort.

Patricia Repik
REPIK at medcolpa.edu