Ebola: the movie:labjokes

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Fri Apr 7 21:21:27 EST 1995

On 7 Apr 1995, Duane James Funk wrote:

> Hmm, I must say that I have never even heard (or thought) of this one.
> What does the q-tip dipped in butyric acid and then placed in a
> wastebasket do?  Pardon my chemical ignorance.

  Well, one would be hard pressed to find a chemical that produces such a
"lovely" bouquet as does butyric acid (an old organic chem prof told us
it is what makes rotten butter smell as it does...though I must say that
I have never come across rotten butter).
  This particular trick was used by yours truly while I was in the Air
Force as a practical joke during Alert Duty - to several individual's
bedrooms.  One drop of butyric acid is enough to ensure the swift
clearance of a room, any room.  Using a q-tip is simply a convenient
carrier as the chemical COULD discolor carpet if applied directly.
  Now, since this has absolutely nothing to do with viruses, I apologise
to others who may not find these tidbits useful >;)...now back to the
previously scheduled discussion topic...

Patrick