Virulent measles virus in Australia

Mike Poidinger mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au
Sun Apr 9 22:41:54 EST 1995

In article <D6o4JJ.GwB at indirect.com>, ldbyron at indirect.com (James Steven Garrett) says:

>: Has anyone heard about a more virulent form of measles virus being
>: isolated in Australia?  If so, who are the researchers that did the
>: identification and  isolation?
>Indeed; apparently the virus spread from horses to humans, and wiped out
>a village of aborigines in Australia. Incubation within 6-8 hours, 100%
>mortality; bloody froth from the nose, ad nauseum. Doesn't God ever
>invent a tidy virus? Sheesh.

Bloody Hell!  Talk about Outbreak level disinformation!  The virus is
Morbilli, It killed 14 horses and one immunocomrpomised human. One
other person and several horses were infected but recovered.

There are NO other reported cases.

The work was done (and is being continued by) the Australian Animal Health
Laboratories in Geelong, and the State Health Labs in Queensland.

For reference try Murray et al (1995). "A Novel Morbillivirus pneumonia
of horses and its transmission to humans"
Emerging Infectious Diseases, 1, 31-33

Mike
Dr Mike Poidinger  | Hey Christian God, get out of my face
Microbiology       | Your holy ghost is a curse on the human race
UQ, Australia	   | I'd like to string you up one more time,
mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au