Virulent measles virus in Australia-correction

Mike Poidinger mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au
Mon Apr 10 19:47:43 EST 1995

In article <3ma9e2$sf9 at dingo.cc.uq.oz.au>, I said:

>Bloody Hell!  Talk about Outbreak level disinformation!  The virus is
>Morbilli, It killed 14 horses and one immunocomrpomised human. One
>other person and several horses were infected but recovered.
>
>There are NO other reported cases.

I may have overstepped the mark here.  I have looked back thru the
literature I have and can find no evidence of the 'immunocompromised'
part of yesterdays post.  To quote the Emerging Infectious Diseases Paper
literaly:

"...The next day, the horse trainer also became ill with similar symptoms.
Both [he and the stablehand] had close contact with the dying mare,
particularly the trainer who was exposed to nasal discharge while trying
to feed her; he had abrasions on his hands and arms...The trainer, a
49 year old man, was a heavy smoker and showed signs consistent with
Legionella infection..."

Sorry for any disinformation

Mike

mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au