New case of Ebola

S. M. Fitzgerald Cyberiot at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 11 21:50:43 EST 1995

In <3mca50$151 at sybelia.cs.ucf.edu> hull at sybelia.cs.ucf.edu (Richard
Hull) writes:

>Has anyone heard any information about a recent case of
>Ebola that was supposedly contracted by a Swiss researcher
>in Ivory Coast?  I heard this on CNN's Headline News on
>Sunday April 9th.  As the story goes, the woman
>was working with chimpanzees and picked up the virus.
>THere was no mention as to whether this was the Zaire,
>Sudan, or Reston strains.
>
>Richard Hull

Reuters reported on April 10 that the researcher contracted the virus
while performing a necropsy on a chimp.

My general understanding is that Reston is a simian virus that hasn't
(yet) jumped species; correct me, please, if I'm wrong.  If that is
true, I'd be quite interested to learn which Ebola strain the researcher
contracted, and whether she's just among the lucky 20 percent who don't
kick, or whether the past two decades have yielded new treatments.

Any information about whether the researcher's caregivers became
infected?

Best,
S. M. Fitzgerald
Cyberiot at ix.netcom.com