Virulent measles virus in Australia

Jack M. Bernstein, M.D. Bernstein at WSU-ID.Dayton.OH.US
Tue Apr 11 20:40:20 EST 1995

In article <D6o4JJ.GwB at indirect.com> ldbyron at indirect.com (James Steven Garrett) writes:
>From: ldbyron at indirect.com (James Steven Garrett)
>Subject: Re: Virulent measles virus in Australia
>Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 14:06:55 GMT

>: Has anyone heard about a more virulent form of measles virus being
>: isolated in Australia?  If so, who are the researchers that did the
>: identification and  isolation?
>Indeed; apparently the virus spread from horses to humans, and wiped out
>a village of aborigines in Australia. Incubation within 6-8 hours, 100%
>mortality; bloody froth from the nose, ad nauseum. Doesn't God ever
>invent a tidy virus? Sheesh.

>As you can see, I haven't much more than the apocrypha coming off the
>newsfeed; if anyone knows more about this virus, I would appreciate
>e-mail on anything pertinent. Thank you in advance.

>---J. Stephen Garrett
>ldbyron at intele.net

This report on this  is in Science this week. It IS NOT measles virus but a
unique MORBILLIVIRUS, thus being placed in the same family as measles,
rinderpest and several other viruses. Genetic analysis seems to infer that it
is quite different from other members of the same family. Time will tell if it
is a true risk for humans.