HAV vaccine

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Fri Apr 14 17:27:30 EST 1995

In article <9504141931.AA03078 at deimos.med.pitt.edu>, bap at MED.PITT.EDU
(Bruce Phillips) wrote:

>         The new HAV vaccine is called Hirvax (or something like that) and is
> a inactivated virus preparation very much like the early Salk/Youngner
> It is reported to be 85% effective as measured, I believe, by eliciting
> "significant" titers of neutralizing antibodies and from studies showing
> protective effects in human beings.  I think much of the testing was done
> in Japan.

Is this new vaccine inactivated virus of which strain?  There are
significant differences in the virus that is most effective at invading
and the one which is around late in infection (+5 years).  Further, I was
under the impression that there is evidence that macrophages might be the
initial cell type infected.  If you covered a virus with AB's would you
not scream "come and get me!" to macrophages?  Did you hear any specifics
about what the neutralizing AB's are to??

Thanks for any info!

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
University of Missouri-Columbia