Clearance of HIV

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Sun Apr 16 18:09:07 EST 1995

On 14 Apr 1995, SusanD4739 wrote:

> The tests had to be incorrect the first time, the just had to be.  That or
> it is clearly an act of Divine Intervention.

Again with the religion?  You and I are riddled with retrovirus genomes
from infections past.  The evolutionary common ancestor to both humans
and chimpanzees obviously had a retroviral rider at some point because
both we and chimps share the SAME retroviral insert in the same
chromosome at the same relative location.  My point?  It is practically
inevitable that at some point either a human with just the right
combination of genes will have an immune system capable of defeating HIV
OR since HIV is such a mutator, that a quiet form of the virus will hitch
a ride in a host and, perhaps, become a permanent rider just like all the
other viral genomic components that we carry.

Up to 15% of mice genomes are made up of retroviral remnants and
transposable elements (which I would argue are remnants of viruses past).

Was there so many thousands of divine interventions for our ancestors and
all our brother animals?  No.  Just the crapshoot of genetic chance.

Patrick