Efficacy of vaccines info?

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Tue Apr 18 04:44:45 EST 1995

> From:          mkrol at macc.wisc.edu (Micky Krol)
> Subject:       Re: Efficacy of vaccines info?

> In article <jwayne.798171503 at mars>, you wrote:
>
> > OK, all of you virii gurus.  I've been encountering more and
> > more arguments that are anti-vaccine,
> >   Examples:
> >
> >   a) 1942: Hepatitus vaccination in the military resulted in
> > the worst hep epidemic in US - over 50,000 cases.
>
> True.  This led to improved regulation of vaccines by the FDA.
Not true: there was no heptitis vaccine then; what I have been
teaching my students since 1981 is that, apart from highlighting the
role of the US Army in spreading disease ( B-)), this shows the
necessity for checking that vaccines are not stabilised with
contaminated serum.  And it was a yellow fever vaccine that was so
stabilised in  this case.

 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

   "And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
      From the profit he's made on your dreams..."