Efficacy of vaccines info?

Micky Krol mkrol at macc.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 18 17:04:06 EST 1995

In article <m0s19hx-0004RmC at uctmail.uct.ac.za>, ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za ("Ed
Rybicki") wrote:

> > >   a) 1942: Hepatitus vaccination in the military resulted in
> > > the worst hep epidemic in US - over 50,000 cases.
> >
> > True.  This led to improved regulation of vaccines by the FDA.
> Not true: there was no heptitis vaccine then; what I have been
> teaching my students since 1981 is that, apart from highlighting the
> role of the US Army in spreading disease ( B-)), this shows the
> necessity for checking that vaccines are not stabilised with
> contaminated serum.  And it was a yellow fever vaccine that was so
> stabilised in  this case.

>  |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |

Ed is of course correct...I mesread the original point.  Thanks for the
correction!

--
Yup, these opinions are only my own, and sometimes not even that.  So
please don't blame them on anyone else, not even my Mom.

PGP public key available on request...I prefer to recieve letters that are
in envelopes over those on postcards