prions

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Wed Apr 19 03:28:27 EST 1995

In article <NEWTNews.16340.798221849.grenard at herpmed.com>,
grenard at herpmed.com wrote:

> Is there anything new happening on the subject of prions that I
> may have missed. I noticed recently that in the book Dancing
> Matrix no mention of this "form" as an agent in scrapie, etc.
> was made.  Did the author miss out on discussing this subject
> or has it been relegated to the junk heap?
>
> S Grenard

I think the new things in the field should make the prions even a hotter
topic than before. Recently there were articles in Science about prions (I
miss the refe. by heart) showing that the interest in the scientific
community is high. Two possible expl.: the author wanted to discuss only
DNA or RNA-based entities leaving out prions due to their peculiar origin
(it is still a debate I guess if they can be considered infectious agents
even if they are cited in Virology textbooks as such) OR he missed them.
maga at vetbio.unizh.ch