Philosophical Leanings

N. Smith ns10005 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 19 07:40:27 EST 1995

In article <frazier-1804951248300001 at 155.52.20.27>,
David P. Frazier <frazier at mbcrr.harvard.edu> wrote:

>... There isn¹t a court in the
>world (even in the USA) that would allow ³I was merely following my innate
>need to distribute my genetic material² as a rape defense.  Human
>societies are based correctly on the concept of the free will of
>individuals leading to personal responsibility for our behaviors.

Agreed, this is true at the moment, but for how much longer?
Already there is a tendency to blame anything but the offender,
be it upbringing, social environment, lack of money, etc. And with
the current talk about violent genes and the case in the States
(sorry, have heard little else about this) where the defence are
using a history of family violence to partially exonerate their
client, perhaps the selfish gene will soon be a good excuse?

I hope not...
		Nigel