prions

Mike Poidinger mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au
Wed Apr 19 01:41:07 EST 1995

In article <NEWTNews.16340.798221849.grenard at herpmed.com>, grenard at herpmed.com says:

>Is there anything new happening on the subject of prions that I
>may have missed. I noticed recently that in the book Dancing
>Matrix no mention of this "form" as an agent in scrapie, etc.
>was made.  Did the author miss out on discussing this subject
>or has it been relegated to the junk heap?

Well, I really hope David or Jeff (you know who you are!) delurk
on this one and give an up to date answer,

However, speaking as someone that was in the field up until a
year ago, and having never read the book in question, prions
are far from relegated to the junk heap.  50 000 British
cows cannot be wrong.  The agent still seems to be a novel
replicating protein with no discernible nucleic acid content.

Mike
Dr Mike Poidinger  | Hey Christian God, get out of my face
Microbiology       | Your holy ghost is a curse on the human race
UQ, Australia	   | I'd like to string you up one more time,
mikep at biosci.uq.oz.au