Agarose Gels

Wolfram Brune brune at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 27 11:25:21 EST 1995

In message <95426142910.~INN-SCAa00167.bionet-news at dl.ac.uk> Biology Department
writes:
> 	Recently, our gels have been running slanted--if you view the gel
> from the side the bands are diagonal to the horizontal plane of the gel.
> We have remade our buffer (1XTAE) but this does not seem to help.  Any
> suggestions as to the cause of this problem?  The major difficulty is
> that if you view the gels from above the bands appear fuzzy and wide
> instead of sharp. Any comments would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jeff Huckaby
> Molecular Biology
> William Jewell College
> Liberty, Mo 64068
> email mowjmat at coop.crn.org

Did you check if your comb is vertical when pouring the gel?
If it is not, you will get "diagonal" wells (when viewed from the side) and
therefore "diagonal" bands.

Just a suggestion...

Wolfram Brune
Zentrum fuer Molekulare Biologie der Universitaet Heidelberg (ZMBH)
Im Neuenheimer Feld 282
D-69120 Heidelberg
Germany
phone: (+49) 6221 566861