Ebola stability

Paul Wilson wilson at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 2 18:46:44 EST 1995

In article <9508021735.AA24315 at phobos.med.pitt.edu>,
Bruce Phillips <bap at MED.PITT.EDU> wrote:

>	There have been several suggestions that the relative nonvariance
>of Ebola Zaire strains over the past 19-20 years reflects an unusually
>stable Ebola-encoded RNA replicase. [...]
>
>	It seems more likely that the stability of Ebola is a reflection of
>selective pressures exerted on the infectiousness of progeny virions.  For
> [ ... ]

I don't know much about viruses, but is it possible that the
repository is simply not active, i.e., that the virus sits around
dormant somewhere most of the time, rather than being "alive" in a
carrier species?  That would be an alternative explanation---if it
isn't replicating, you don't get transcription errors and genetic
drift.

(Again, I'm no virologist, but I had to ask.  I'm guessing I'm wrong
and that people have shown that the virus can't live for a long time
outside of some body.)