Adenovirus info. request (2)

Jack Guida guida at aecom.yu.edu
Thu Aug 10 17:04:09 EST 1995

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995 Unknown at .MISSING-HOST-NAME. wrote:

> I need protocols for methods of storing adenovirus stocks for long term and short time periods.
> I believe that there are some sucrose based buffers used for the purpose. I will appreciate  if
> anyone can help me out here.

We have been able to store concentrated stocks of human and mouse
adenoviruses at -20C in 10mM Tris pH 7.5 with 50% Glycerol.  This has the
advantage of not freezing so that you can remove aliquots of the virus
without losing titer with a freeze-thaw cycle. We have some viral stocks
stored in this way that have been around for over ten years, and still
haven't lost more than 50% of their infectious titer (based on
particle:pfu ratio).  This can also be frozen at -70C, but while you
won't lose much during storage, we think that we are losing something
when we defrost and refreeze.  I would suggest aliquotting virus stored
in this way.

If you are working with crude viral supernatants, then I would suggest
simply freezing aliquots at -70C.  These don't do well with freeze-thaws
and I don't know if they would benefit from glycerol.

As far as using sucrose, I have heard of this, but we have never tried it.

Good luck.

-Jack Guida
 Graduate Student
 AECOM