Strains of phage T4

Sean Eddy eddy at wol.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 17 13:52:46 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950815193643.7607C-100000 at howard> Rafael Maldonado <rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu> writes:
  >I am looking for possible sources, stock centers, commercial supply, of
  >several different T4 phage isolates for a study of comparison of DNA
  >sequences.
  >Also, any information related, as phylogeny and origin of
  >current T4 strains, would be appreciated: significant articles, books,
  >any kind of knowledge. I guess they may be pretty old; that type of
  >information is often difficult to find in modern computer databases.

Unfortunately, there are no stock centers for phage T4, at least not
that I know of. You need to contact one of the laboratories that works
on T4. I hesitate to advertise labs on the Net, in case they get a
deluge of stock requests, but you might contact Betty Kutter
(Evergreen University, Olympia Washington) at t4phage at u.washington.edu
with specific questions. Betty heroically coordinates a lot of
worthwhile activities in the small but proud T4 community.

For general reference on phage T4, at least two books exist:

@Book{Mathews83,
  title =       "Bacteriophage {T4}",
  publisher =   "American Society for Microbiology",
  year =        1983,
  editor =      "Christopher K. Mathews and Elizabeth M. Kutter and
                 Gisela Mosig and Peter B. Berget",
  address =     "Washington, D.C."
}

@Book{Karam94,
  title =       "Molecular Biology of Bacteriophage {T4}",
  publisher =   "American Society for Microbiology",
  year =        1994,
  editor =      "Jim D. Karam",
  address =     "Washington, D.C."
}

--
- Sean Eddy
- Dept. of Genetics, Washington University School of Medicine
- eddy at genetics.wustl.edu