The Ebola virus - the end of the civilized world

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Mon Aug 21 03:18:42 EST 1995

> From:          zfb at faveve.uni-stuttgart.de
> Subject:       Re: The Ebola virus - the end of the civilized world

> Hallo
> I think about this virus is not mutate only of the natur. In USA the military works at this
> virus. Mayby is ther one virus from USA ??

Oh, really?  You know this, do you?  In fact perhaps the only
involvement of the US military is probably that of USAMRID, who were involved
in the Ebola Reston incident (in terms of cleaning it up).  Don't
spread alarm where you have no facts to go on.  There are more than
enough viruses waiting for us out in the forests for you to have to
postulate the involvement of ANYBODY'S military in making one.  Not
that I hold any brief for the US military, which is probably (in
light of their WWII and Vietnam experiences) one of the more
efficient agents of inadvertent transmission of dangerous viruses
(eg: hepatitis in the Pacific theatre in WWII)...!

 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"