help on virus isoelectric points

Keith Stuckly keiths at ozonline.com.au
Wed Aug 23 08:36:50 EST 1995

Greg Tobin replied to my posting requesting info on virus isoelectric point:

>Your post interested me.  I didn't think it was possible to purify
>viruses on columns as the outermost proteins would be interactive
>with the resins and they could have different properties.  I would
>suppose that column purification would strip the glycoproteins and
>render the virus noninfectous.  But, I would like to know if you get <snip>

Thanks for reply. In fact I am not trying to purify virus by this method,
only trying to follow where it goes (partitions). What proportion of the
introduced virus 'sticks' to the column matrix (if any) and what proportion
doesn't.
Our company produces blood products from pooled plasma, chromatography
columns being essential steps in some of our product manufacture. Virus
Inactivation steps are always included in the manufacture of these products,
but the regulatory authorities also require very tricky data about where
potentially contaminating virus goes, in particular can these viruses build
up in the column matrix and suddenly be voided into a batch of product (some
columns are re-used >40 times before re-generation and sanitation).
So, knowlegde of virus isoelectric points would be very useful information.
However trying to find such information is very difficult, as isoelectric
point info on viruses may be too obscure to be useful for anything.
Anybody else ever heard of such information being available?
I suspected this would baffle people!

Keith Stuckly
CSL Ltd
Melbourne Australia