The Ebola virus - the end of the civilize

LAURENCE TILEY LAURENCES.TILEY at CCMAIL.BMS.COM
Thu Aug 24 09:35:20 EST 1995

> No because AIDS is a behavior driven disease.  The majority of the
> world's population is heterosexual and unless we all started to consort
> with drug addicts or hookers, or become hemophiliacs, there isn't much
> of a chance AIDS will affect the majority of us.

This is a dangerous and all too common view to hold.
I agree that with the current incidence of HIV infection, if
you avoid high risk behaviour completely YOUR chances of infection
are remote. But as the disease continues to expand out of the high risk
groups it makes it harder to maintain such safe practices (unless you become celebate).
If  HIV infection became truly wide spread  in the future, your children would find it
rather hard to avoid. Take for example the incidence of Human Papilloma virus. This is also
an incurable sexually transmitted disease. Remarkably few sexual encounters are required
someone will be infected. Here we are all in a high risk group (monogamous individuals and
virgins excepted).
HIV is still an emerging disease, but it has demonstrated the ability to persist and expand in its
new host (unlike Ebola). Maximum effort should be directed at limiting its spread. It is getting
 a grip around our throat now. If  we stick our heads in the sand, as you suggest,
 we will surely soffocate.

My opinion, for what its worth.

LT.