Virus use in warfare

PANGELETTI at bmg.bhs.uab.edu PANGELETTI at bmg.bhs.uab.edu
Sat Aug 26 15:51:22 EST 1995

Wow, pretty scary.  Thanks, Robin, for the info.
Cheers - PCA

A front-page article in the New York Times this year (sorry, I don't have
the exact date) reported that certain Japanese army doctors did research
with Chinese and Korean POWs, injecting them with various diseases and
observing their demise. They also autopsied still-living victims.

The revelations are only coming about now because some of the doctors,
ridden with guilt, have begun speaking of what they did; because of
a slightly more open political climate in Japan, the media is picking
up on it.

Since the "experiments" were not of great scientific value, there are
probably no scientific papers to consult...assuming you can read
Japanese. Media interviews with the doctors are likely the only source.

While I don't agree with the claim that Ebola could "spread like
wildfire," it is true governments have done some rather stupid things
and considered even more stupid ones while researching possible
weapons of war.

Not a virologist -- just my 0.02 cents' worth.

Robin M. Weare
Peter C. Angeletti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Pangeletti at bmg.bhs.uab.edu