The Ebola virus - the end of the civilized world

bhjelle at bhjelle at
Thu Aug 24 08:48:57 EST 1995

In article <41hf75$27u at>,
David Ornstein <davido at> wrote:
>Actually, these hemorrhagic fevers are not really all that new.  We've know
>about them for decades.  They've probably been around much longer than that.
>Much of what's happening is that communications media (TV, the net, books,
>etc.) has amplified our awareness of these things.
How would this sound in Preston-speak?

Bricks of bad information and fear-mongering set up
a highly-efficient, deadly cycle of hysteria replication
in the populace. The public hemorrages, spilling
hysteria to the next unwitting victim. Fear gushes
from every media orifice. No one is safe from the hype.

Not that awareness of filoviruses is a bad idea, but
several posters like Ian York have pointed out the rather
small toll Ebola has taken on the world's population
in comparison to tuberculosis, measles, etc. I would
add that more people died in Chicago from a couple of
days in the heat than in the Ebola epidemic of '95 in