Can viruses kill other diseases ?

A.J.Cann nna at le.ac.uk
Sun Aug 27 00:07:10 EST 1995

069537 at edna.swin.edu.au (Daniel Roger Bucknell) wrote:
>I was just wondering, is there a virus that can for example infect a
>person with cancer, E-Coli or some other bacterial infection and then the
>virus kills off the offending bacteria if our immune system cannot ?
>Are there viruses that can do that at all so that instead of Hepatitis
>for example infecting and stuffing up our liver couldn't some virus be
>made to kill off other bacteria or even other viruses ?

Yes! Well, not really, Well, possibly? Decide for yourself:

TI: Designer antiviruses for HIV
  AU: Norris_V, Madsen_MS, Heaphy_S
  NA: Dept. of Microbiology, University of Leicester, School of Medicine,
      PO Box 138, Leicester LE1 9HN, UK
  JN: Trends in Microbiology, 1993, Vol.1, No.9, pp.355-357
  IS: 0966-842X
  DT: Review
  AB: Potentially, antiviruses that interfere with HIV propagation could be
      used as AIDS therapy. If problems associated with HIV recombination
      and the dynamics of the interactions between HIV and antivirus can be
      resolved by an appropriate design, an antivirus might defer or
      prevent the development of AIDS, and might benefit AIDS patients.

Dr Alan J. Cann  PhD,   Department of Microbiology & Immunology,
University of Leicester,  P.O. Box 138,  Medical Sciences Building,
University Road, Leicester LE1 9HN,  UK.
Email: nna at le.ac.uk     http://www.le.ac.uk/CWIS/AD/MI/ST/nna.html