XENOTRANSPLANTATION

Sean Stevens stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Sat Aug 26 18:12:41 EST 1995

lalondep at mindspring.com (Richard P. Lalonde) wrote:
>As a future MD who wants to work in virology, I too am concerned over the
>issue of cross-species transplantation. There are sooooooooo many different
>factors that need to be considered. . As history can dictate, one should
>endeavor to learn as much as possible (good and bad) about the repurcussions
>of tampering with mother nature.
(snip)
>Nicole

If I am not mistaken, wasn't a baboon liver transplanted into a patient in Pittsburgh
YEARS ago? What happened? I recall an outcry, but hadn't heard much since. I believe
the patient died, but of the various complications of his condition, not some exotic
viral disease. Anyone know more?

Sean Stevens The Rockefeller University
stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu