XENOTRANSPLANTATION

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Mon Aug 28 16:55:05 EST 1995

Nicole (lalonde at mindspring.com) writes:

[snip]
> of tampering with mother nature. Just look at the effects of species
> introduction into a new habitat to see what I mean. Most of the time, the
> introduced species causes great harm to the existing populations. This is by
> no means 'natural selection', not when man is involved.

Think about this.  How many times have new species been introduced to
continents and islands and promptly died out?  This must be the fate of
the vast majority of such trials, whether the introduction has been by
humans or so-called "natural" processes.  BTW, since when were we not
natural?

Contrary to what so many seem to think, the process of introduction,
dispersal, death (mostly) and spread (rarely) *is* natural selection.

Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295