[Q] REM/SEM microscopy of viruses

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Tue Aug 29 02:53:51 EST 1995

> From:          Alexander.Brozeit at arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Alexander Brozeit)
> Subject:       [Q] REM/SEM microscopy of viruses

> As a physicist I was asked if there is a possibility to detect
> viruses by means of REM/SEM microscopy.
> In principal this technique is feasible, I know, the question
> addresses the way of specimen preparation: small eruptions of
> the skin contain an almost clear liquid which is directly applied
> to a microscope cover plate. After desiccating, the specimen is
> sputtered with approx. 3 to 5 nanometer Gold.
>
> Is it likely to find (if prominent) a virus by using this method ?
> If not, which technique is more likely to yield success ?

Plant virologists simply take some clarified sap or a drop of clear
sap expressed from a leaf/stem and put onto a grid and negative
stain: and I heard from a rotavirologist recently that he was taking
"clarified faeces" and doing exactly the same thing.  Strikes me as
being a departure back to the 1940s to coat them by sputtering.

 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"