XENOTRANSPLANTATION

Kevin Shannon kmshannon at uoknor.edu
Mon Aug 28 22:29:10 EST 1995

lalondep at mindspring.com (Richard P. Lalonde) wrote:
>As a future MD who wants to work in virology, I too am concerned over the
>issue of cross-species transplantation. There are sooooooooo many different
>factors that need to be considered. . As history can dictate, one should
>endeavor to learn as much as possible (good and bad) about the repurcussions
>of tampering with mother nature. Just look at the effects of species
>introduction into a new habitat to see what I mean. Most of the time, the
>introduced species causes great harm to the existing populations. This is by
>no means 'natural selection', not when man is involved.

The operative and most important words in the above paragraph are MOTHER NATURE.
I am so pleased to hear those words from a fellow scientist.

>The human species has just about jumped our carrying capacity and unless
>something is done to control population, nature is about to start doing it for
>us (viruses are perhaps nature's way ).

Yes, I think that many people, including myself, would agree that viruses COULD be
mother nature's (or the Earth's) defense against overpopulation.

>As a doctor, one wants to help
people live longer and better lives, but as  member of this species, I know
>that some limits need to be placed on how far we should go in this matter.
>
>There are many people out there that can benefit from Xenotransplantation, and
>that includes major biotech industries($$$$$$$$). And we've all seen what
>happens when greed gets in the way.  Who knows what is going to happen in this
>crazy world we live in. All I know is that too much of a good thing can be
>harmful.

After recieving some feedback from some of the people that I work with in my lab, they
pointed out to me that by taking the position against this new type of medicine
(xenotransplantation), I might be hurting myself as a future virologist.  Explanation--> Just
think of all of the potential viri that could emerge in the human population??  As future
virologists, we would always have jobs!!!  I may want to append my original article...hehe
(not)

"Man can learn a lot from beasts."  Francis Ford Coppola's "Dracula"

Kevin
KMShannon at uoknor.edu