The Ebola virus - the end of the civilized world

Gary J. Robinson grobinso at mailer.fsu.edu
Wed Aug 30 01:23:17 EST 1995

Does anyone know whether any animal or insect species has been innoculated
with Ebola Zaire and had 0% mortality?  In the book "Outbreak" they
mentioned monkeys and guinea pigs as dropping dead after being innoculated
but they never mentioned any species as being immune to Zaire or Sudan
strains.

   The thought occured to me that if you started innoculating
representative animals from each species native to the area of the
outbreaks, any that proved immune were possible hosts.  Might be a good
way to narrow down the field of possible hosts.  Working backwards toward
the host instead of trying to find it in the wild with virus already in
it.  This way you could automatically skip any species that died quickly
in captivity when innoculated.  It should not involve any more work than
collecting and sampling them all in the wild; instead of killing them and
sampling them, just capture them and innoculate them instead back at the
lab.  That way, if the innoculated one quickly dies you can literally
write off the entire species; with sampling all you can conclude is that
the one you caught didn't happen to have the virus, which does not prove
other individuals of that species might not be hosts. Just a thought.

-- An ignorant but curious layman

|    Gary J. Robinson     |       ". . . such fine, fat beasts."            |
|  Tallahassee, Florida   |                      -- Duhamel, i.e. Patrick   |
| grobinso at mailer.fsu.edu |  O'Brian, on the subject of boiled crayfish.    |
|          Selling Avalon Hill?  The scrubs, the infernal lubbers.          |