XENOTRANSPLANTATION

ryan at mbcf.stjude.org ryan at mbcf.stjude.org
Tue Aug 29 15:46:52 EST 1995

In article <199508282152.RAA00170 at hobbes.kzoo.edu>, ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU (Walter Ogston) writes:

> Think about this.  How many times have new species been introduced to
> continents and islands and promptly died out?  This must be the fate of
> the vast majority of such trials, whether the introduction has been by
> humans or so-called "natural" processes.  BTW, since when were we not
> natural?
> Contrary to what so many seem to think, the process of introduction,
> dispersal, death (mostly) and spread (rarely) *is* natural selection.

Hi Walter,

let me see if I have this: do you suggest that cross-species transmission of
endogenous viruses cant't happen? or probably won't happen? or that it would be
a good thing if it did happen?

I suggest that relying on natural processes to always be benign is no
substitute for vigilant screening of possible contaminants in donor organs.

Regards, Kevin.
	Kevin W. Ryan
	Department of Virology & Molecular Biology
	St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
	Memphis, Tennessee 38101-0318, U.S.A.

	phone: (901) 495-3411
	fax:   (901) 523-2622