Ebola

g1687jkarh at umbsky.cc.umb.edu g1687jkarh at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Thu Aug 31 09:03:36 EST 1995

In Article <v01510102ac6a31e94e0b@[128.112.113.216]>
cpatterson at WATSON.PRINCETON.EDU (Catherine E. Patterson) writes:
>So lets get it straight -
>
>        "Outbreak" is a movie
>        "The Hot Zone" is a book
>
>               Are there others?
>
>The movie is more sensationalized than the book.  Perhaps the concerns of
>this room would be best addressed by someone who has worked with Level 4
>viruses...  but I guess they aren't out there.

     Outbreak was a poor movie rushed to market to kill "The hot zone" movie,
which was in production. I guess that SOMEONE thought that it would be better
to have a crappy fictional movie that to put the full story out there. Maybe
it was thought that the sight of Belgian nuns infecting Africans with Ebola,
and seeing the monkey house fiasco so dramatically played out would have been
too much.

     Interestingly, another movie was recently killed similarly. Someone (Bob
Seale?) was working on a movie about the Black Panthers, but someone else
rushed a fictionalized account to the box office. So rather than seeing the
community services, the police/government persecution, and the trials for all
it was worth, we got a watered down, fictional, composite charactered movie.

     READ MORE, VIEW LESS! Fiction is for those who can't take reality.

     The fuel air explosion was neat though (Outbreak). But the public learned
NOTHING about Ebola from this.