help on virus isoelectric points

Oberste oberste at fcs260c.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Aug 29 09:33:43 EST 1995

Keith, Greg, et al.:
Column chromatography was used in the 1970s to try to characterize the
surface properties of alphaviruses, and in particular, strains of
Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus (VEE).  One of the goals of the VEE
work was to develop lab methods to predict virus phenotype, eg. equine
virulence.  Jahrling and Eddy (Am. J. Epidemiol. 106:408-417, 1977) used
hydroxylapatite as the matrix for separating VEE strains basically along
the lines of kinetic HI subtype.  I don't see why the basic technique couldn't
be applied to other viruses and other matrices, keeping in mind virus
stability and the potential to shed the envelope, as Greg pointed out.

-Steve

M. Steven Oberste, Ph.D.                   oberste at ncifcrf.gov
Virology Division, USAMRIID
MCMR-UIV-B, Bldg. 1425, Ft. Detrick