Hantavirus and the Classic Car

EdRegis edregis at aol.com
Sun Dec 3 09:29:15 EST 1995

L&F Products, the makers of d-CON and Lysol, publish a brochure,
"Hantavirus," which they claim is approved by the CDC (Centers for Disease
Control, Atlanta).  In it, the following recommendations are given re
cleanup of mouse infested areas.  Wear rubber gloves; "Thoroughly spray
dead rodents, traps, droppings, and contaminated areas with a general
household disinfectant.  Also, if you find mouse droppings inside, DO NOT
sweep or vacuum them until you have wet the affected areas with
disinfectant, since these activities might put virus laden dust into the
air."  They also list a hotline number: 1-800-395-3266.

If I were you, I would find a tight-fititng HEPA mask (ask a pharmacist or
surgeon supply store), plus rubberized gown, and get rid of all of them
after the cleanup.  I would not believe the 48-hour theory.  (Actually, if
it were me, I'd junk the Lancia and buy a Mazda Miata.)

Good luck,
Ed
edregis at aol.com