RNA pol, replication fidelity

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Sun Dec 3 11:58:59 EST 1995

In article <hbClj14.brunker at delphi.com>, Marla Brunker
<brunker at delphi.com> wrote:

> Scott A Hoffman <schoffma at badlands.nodak.edu> writes:
>
> >RNA viruses (most notably Ebola and Dengue) show a high replication
> >fidelity.... snip!!.....

I am unaware of any studies concerning the fidelity of Filovirus pol.  I
do remember from this years ASV meeting that the latest outbreak of Ebola
did have a very high degree of sequence homology to outbreaks which
occured years ago.  This dose not mean that the pol. is very good though.
To my knowlege at least, the jury is still out on the fidelity of
Filovirus pols. (I dont know about Dengue).  Maybe someone knows of
journal articles which address this; I know there are some filovirus
people who lurk in this group
.
>         This isn't any kind of answer to your question but...if the
> reverse transcriptase from these viruses is more efficient than what's
> available commercially (my Boehringer-Mannheim catalogue lists two, one
> from avian myeloblastosis virus and a recombinant MMuLV RT)
> would it be worth the bother of figuring out how to produce this
> recombinantly?

I dont know abou Dengue, but with Filoviruses there is is no RT step in
the replication.

Don

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology