Rabbit calici virus adapts? (Alwyn Smith)

Ross & Kathy Bloore dingo.cc.uq.oz.au
Wed Dec 13 07:16:21 EST 1995

bsandle at southern.co.nz (Brian Sandle) wrote:
>I have recently heard Alwyn Smith of Oregon State University speaking
>about rabbit calici virus. He says that the people who say it will not
>adapt to other species are hoping that it will differ from other calici
>viruses in that respect. The other calici viruses do adapt.
>
>It is being debated whether to release it in New Zealand.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Brian Sandle. Shell to snail? bsandle at southern.co.nz

The CSIRO (the Govt science organisation) in Australia reckons that Smith
isn't up with the latest on the virus, and that the rabbit version is
nothing like the ones Smith was referring to, and doesn't mutate or
transfer to other species as other versions of the virus can.  They claim
there is therefore little danger.

Generally the CSIRO seems to be pretty reliable on these things, and not
known for downplaying dangers for political purposes, so their statements
can probably be taken at face value.  On the other hand, they were the
ones who let the virus escape from quarantine in the first place.....

Ross Bloore.