ANOTHER ebola outbreak?

Robin M. Weare persepha at csulb.edu
Wed Dec 13 04:58:56 EST 1995

'Gavia immer' Deborah Wisti-Peterson (nyneve at u.washington.edu) wrote:
: i was told by a friend that there is a new outbreak of ebola in
: liberia and the largest city in liberia is under quarantine
: (sorry, i forgot the name of this city!). patient zero--a man--
: is reportedly still alive. does anyone know anything about this?

Sounds like the rumor mill got entirely out of hand here. The last I
heard, several days ago, it was ONE PERSON who had the disease, and
he is now supposedly recovering. No one else has been infected that I
know of, though his family members might have been exposed.

I certainly haven't heard anything about any cities being quarantined.
If this happened, the media should be going into hysterics about it,
but I've seen nothing.

It's in the same nation that the one human case of Ebola Tai was
discovered, so if I were a betting woman, I'd bet it's Ebola Tai.

The main importance of this, I suspect, is that this may be the best
chance the experts have ever had to find the reservoir of the disease.
There was never a chance to talk to the key case in other outbreaks,
and the Tai case was from chimpanzees. Maybe, if and when the doctors
and/or epidemiologists question this man, they'll finally get a lead.

Robin M. Weare
California State University, Long Beach: --

| There are times when the wolves are silent and the Moon is howling. |