Rabbit calici virus adapts? (Alwyn Smith)

Alan Brown alan at papaioea.manawatu.planet.org.nz
Wed Dec 13 02:38:22 EST 1995

In article <4alja7$n75 at golem.wcc.govt.nz>,
Rachel Priebee  <Priebee_R at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:

>My greatest personal concern is that it will adapt and end up infecting
>livestock and domestic pets such as cats and dogs (as a dog owner I
>am particularly concerned about that).

It's more likely to infect introduced mammals (including us)
than it is our native fauna, however that's a risk.

Of course if it adapted into killing off feral cats and muscilids
I doubt there'd be many tears shed.

Now how about a viral killer of possums?

--
"But you can't say they have arrived to classify your nervous lies
 What's right, what's not, what may not be. Don't try your tricky tests on me