Rabbit calici virus adapts? (Alwyn Smith)

Alan Brown alan at papaioea.manawatu.planet.org.nz
Wed Dec 13 02:38:22 EST 1995

In article <4alja7$n75 at golem.wcc.govt.nz>,
Rachel Priebee  <Priebee_R at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:

>My greatest personal concern is that it will adapt and end up infecting
>livestock and domestic pets such as cats and dogs (as a dog owner I
>am particularly concerned about that).

It's more likely to infect introduced mammals (including us)
than it is our native fauna, however that's a risk.

Of course if it adapted into killing off feral cats and muscilids
I doubt there'd be many tears shed.

Now how about a viral killer of possums?

"But you can't say they have arrived to classify your nervous lies
 What's right, what's not, what may not be. Don't try your tricky tests on me
 For I won't live in fear my friend - that every day could be my end"