ANOTHER ebola outbreak?

MATTHEW FRANCIS WETTLAUFER mattw at sfsu.edu
Wed Dec 13 01:28:09 EST 1995

'Gavia immer' Deborah Wisti-Peterson (nyneve at u.washington.edu) wrote:
: i was told by a friend that there is a new outbreak of ebola in
: liberia and the largest city in liberia is under quarantine
: (sorry, i forgot the name of this city!). patient zero--a man--
: is reportedly still alive. does anyone know anything about this?

: --
:                      Deborah Wisti-Peterson
: Department of Zoology; University of Washington; Seattle, Wash, USA
:                   email:nyneve at u.washington.edu
: =-=-=-Graduate School: it's not just a job, it's an indenture!=-=-=

I heard a report on CBC radio (Canada) that the man is still alive.  It
also seems two (or three) other men and a woman, who were this man's
housemates, have become sick.  The other people presented symptoms such as
vomiting, fever, and hemorrhaging that seemed to indicate Ebola and the
man himself tested positive for Ebola in a liberian hospital.  WHO teams
have moved into Liberia to track the disease.  That's all I know.

Matt Wettlaufer
SFSU/Virology, Microbiology