Rabbit calici virus adapts? (Alwyn Smith)

Mark Cubey mcubey at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Dec 13 19:41:24 EST 1995

ahaz at atlantis.actrix.gen.nz (Stephen  Bell) wrote:
>I wonder when the Aussie rabbits will start fighting back? It is never in
>the interests of an infective agent to entirely eliminate its host. The
>infection vs resistance war will stabilise. The rabbits will survive. The
>dogs and cats will survive. The kiwis? I'm not sure.

Word to Steve. Thems what do not die just get stronger (Fred N). Seems to me that the only solution to this rabbit/possum pestorama is to develop a genetic virus that sterilises 99% of the population so they keep on happily humping while they slowly die off (apart from the ones I take out with my car - five and counting for December).
Once that's sussed, should be simple to spread it to the human population and solve the *real* pest problem... though these HIV carrying insects in Perth may be getting ready to do the job first... (anyone checked out the Mao Flu feature in Wired's Scenarios mag.. like that Outbreak piece of cr*p without the happy ending).