Rabbit calici virus adapts? (Alwyn Smith)

Rachel Priebee Priebee_R at wcc.govt.nz
Thu Dec 14 15:19:37 EST 1995

editorgt at iconz.co.nz (Allan Munro) wrote:
:>
:> In article <4alja7$n75 at golem.wcc.govt.nz>, Rachel Priebee
:> <Priebee_R at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:
:>
:> > bsandle at southern.co.nz (Brian Sandle) wrote:
:> > >
:> > > I have recently heard Alwyn Smith of Oregon State University speaking
:> > > about rabbit calici virus. He says that the people who say it will not
:> > > adapt to other species are hoping that it will differ from other calici
:> > > viruses in that respect. The other calici viruses do adapt.
:> > >
:> > > It is being debated whether to release it in New Zealand.
:> >
:> > Why do they think it won't adapt, if it has done so in the past?
:> >
:> snip
:>

:> I'm no scientist but personally I think RCD will cross-species adapt
:> eventually. It might take a few years but I think it'll hit dogs and cats
:> sooner or later, and maybe native species.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of.  I just hope they can invent a
vaccine for domestic animals before it becomes rampant.

Rachel