On moderation, Vaccinology and Science:unrefereed.

Mike Sussman sussman at cvm.msu.edu
Mon Dec 18 10:21:29 EST 1995

Perhaps the enjoyment of reading the unrestricted thoughts of others
interested in virology has motivated me to post.  On the concept of
vaccinology: Vaccinology is not virology,  one can be sucessful at vaccinology
without ever knowing why. For those who do not read every scientific journal
in an effort to understand virology, natural exposure to subclinical doses of
infectious virus may naturally vaccinate.  All naturally occuring vaccines
require sometimes is someone to package them and administer them in places
other than their original origin.  Thus, some vaccination programs only
represent the practice of the physician to assist nature in the healing
process. However, I understand that there are sometimes severe exceptions that
will require different epidemiological strategies.  I have always thought that
science is a luxury for society.  Just as art is a luxury.  Hunger, and
homelessness do not need science, they need food and shelter.  With the basics
taken care of then there is time for science.  Science can help prevent the
problems of the future, but first the science must allow the problems to be
understood.  When it is really easy and safe for everyone to be protected from
viral disease then everyone will be protected.  The same argument could of
course be restated, if it were easy then everyone would be protected from
viral disease.  To those of you who have just read this and have begun your
rebuttal, I am glad that there is a place where anyone who wishes can address
everyone about virology. Thanks for your time.