Reconstruct virus/phage?

W. Hammerschmidt hammers at
Wed Dec 20 14:19:05 EST 1995

In article <hamel.819476001 at pollux>, hamel at (Andre Hamel) wrote:

> Is anyone aware of any publication references regarding reconstruction of
> viruses or phage from recombinant bits?
> For example, transfecting cells with various parts of phage genome and
> obtaining complete, viable phage (as result of recombinant in the host cell).
> I did a Medline search but I suspect that the keywords that I had used
> were not adequate.
> Many thanks,
>                 ------------------------------------
>      Andre Hamel                   email: hamel at
>      (Scientist)        tel: 204/945-7630     FAX: 204/945-8062
>   Virology Laboratory,  Animal Health Centre
>   Manitoba Government  Department of Agriculture
>   545 University Crescent,  Winnipeg, Manitoba,  CANADA   R3T 5S6

      you might check 'Robertson, E., and E. Kieff. 1995. Reducing the
complexity of the transforming Epstein-Barr virus genome to 64 kilobase
pairs. J. Virol. 69:983-993' and previous papers by E. Kieff's group.
Similarly, pseudorabies virus can be reassembled by just transfecting
partially overlapping cosmid clones into cells.

Good luck searching,

Forschungszentrum fuer Umwelt und Gesundheit
Institut fuer Klinische Molekularbiologie und Tumorgenetik
Marchioninistr. 25
D-81377 Muenchen