CD4 and HIV

Stephen Hall shall at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 3 01:40:45 EST 1995

In article <1995Jan30.111116.1 at wkuvx2.wku.edu>, camplte1 at wkuvx1.wku.edu wrote:

> Can anybody out there tell me what, if any, research has been done
> using CD4 as a cure or attempted cure for AIDS.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Please send any information by E-mail.
>
> Troy Camplin
> camplte1 at wkuvx1.wku.edu

The CD4 molecule is a T cell surface glycoprotein with four Ig-like
domains and functions as a cell adhesion molecule and the HIV receptor.
I am unclear how it could be used as a cure for AIDS.  The primary
reference for CD4 is:

Arthos et. al., (1989) Identification of the residues in human CD4
critical for the binding of HIV. Cell 57:469-481.

--
Stephen Hall
Executive Committee