CD4 and HIV

Stephen Hall shall at
Fri Feb 3 01:40:45 EST 1995

In article <1995Jan30.111116.1 at>, camplte1 at wrote:

> Can anybody out there tell me what, if any, research has been done
> using CD4 as a cure or attempted cure for AIDS.
> Thank you.
> Please send any information by E-mail.
> Troy Camplin
> camplte1 at

The CD4 molecule is a T cell surface glycoprotein with four Ig-like
domains and functions as a cell adhesion molecule and the HIV receptor.
I am unclear how it could be used as a cure for AIDS.  The primary
reference for CD4 is:

Arthos et. al., (1989) Identification of the residues in human CD4
critical for the binding of HIV. Cell 57:469-481.

Stephen Hall
Executive Committee
Purdue University Neuroscience Program
Purdue University