<None>

Beck, Melinda beck.fpg at MHS.UNC.EDU
Thu Feb 9 09:18:08 EST 1995

>o: virology at net.bio.net
  >From: nyneve at u.washington.edu (deborah wisti-peterson)

>on 7 february 1995, a news report on national public radio
>stated (very briefly) that there is an avian virus that is
>killing thousands of chickens in mexico. the report went on
>to state that this virus could affect spring migrants (avian)
>as they moved northward to their breeding grounds. the report
>did not identify this virus nor did it provide any more
>information. can anyone here confirm this report and (hopefully)
>provide any further details, such as what the identity of this
>virus is?

>any information would be appreciated.

The USDA reports that the virus is a highly pathogenic H5N2 strain of
avian influenza isolated form flocks on three related premises in
Tehuacan,Mexico, located 100 miles southeast of Mexico City.  Mexican
animal health officials believe that the highly pathogenic AI virus may
have been introduced into comericial poultry by migratory water fowl.
Donald Luchsinger, acting deputy administrator for veterinary services in
USDA's Animal and Plant Healh Inspection Service says "We are extremely
concerned about the presence of this highly pathogenic virus in
commercial poultry in Mexico and encourage the poultry industry to
increase biosecurity measures-especially limiting employee travel across
the US border to work in different hen houses.  We cannot overemphasize
the importance of on-farm biosecurity while Mexico has this AI virus.
Even more stringent biosecurity measures will be needed on poultry farms
in the US this spring when migratory birds begin returning from Mexico."