rabies and ectotherms

C. Buranathai cburanat at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Sun Feb 12 05:02:09 EST 1995

As far as I know,Rabies virus can infect only mammals(warm blood
animals,such as dog,cat,bat,cattle,skunk,fox).The technical term for
this kind of behavior is "restricted host" and rabies is also called
"restricted tissue".That means rabies virus only resides in nerve and
brain. After the virus multiply in brain it move to salivary glands. Therfore,infected mammal
has virus in their saliva, that's why mammal mostly get rabies by being
bitten and in very rare cases by inhalation of saliva droplet. I hope
that I am answering your question.